How To Paint Your Brake Calipers | Spares Hut
Introduction Into Calipers
There are many car parts on a car but its no doubt that brake calipers are one of the most important. They’re responsible for squeezing the brake pads against the brake rotor in order to slow a vehicle down, we all know what could happen if we cant stop the vehicle.
The part consists of two metal plates separated by a distance, with one plate sliding along the other. The distance between them can be adjusted in order to change the amount of pressure they apply to an object when they are squeezed together. The brake calipers are attached to either side of your car’s braking system.
Why Paint Your Brake Calipers
Calipers are typically painted to identify their manufacturer, so it is not uncommon for people to paint their own for aesthetic purposes. Painting brake calipers is a relatively simple process that can be done in a few hours.
How To Paint Them
Before you start you need to make sure you have the right parts. Where can you buy brake calipers? You can purchase calipers for any make or model here.
1. First, remove all of the old paint. This can be done by using a paint remover, such as acetone, or sandpaper.
2. Once all of the old paint has been removed, it is time to prime and paint them with automotive primer and top coat paint. This is important in order to create a good seal between the paint and the metal.
3. After painting the brake calipers with primer, put on some goggles or safety glasses for protection. Then, spray paint at about 6 inches from the surface in short bursts of 4 seconds so that any overspray will be contained. Spray at least 3 coats per color.
4. When the paint dries, you'll see a rough gloss on your painted surfaces. Continue spraying in short bursts until you're satisfied with the finish.
5. Do Clear Coats On the final set, try using a clear spray on top of the metallic paint to get a really reflective shine.
There you have it, simple! You've now become a quality caliper artist :)
Alternative Option - Buying Brand New
Instead of removing paint on your old calipers you can buy some brand new ones ready for the process. Thats an easy one, luckily, here at Spares Hut we offer a huge range of calipers at the cheapest prices on the web. As well as just left or right, we also sell them together as we think its sometimes better to replace the brake calipers in pairs. We also offer next day delivery ensuring you wont have to wait around for your parts to arrive.